proper gasket installation
proper gasket installation and correct bolting patterns for a satisfactory seal
- Center the gasket on the flange. This is extremely vital, especially where raised faces are involved.
- Be sure surface finish and flatness are satisfactory.
- Tighten the bolts to compress the gasket uniformly. This means going from side to side around the joint. See Bolting Pattern Below.
- Use a torque wrench, well-lubricated fasteners, and hardened flat washers to ensure correct initial loading.
- All bolts should be tightened in one-third increments, according to proper bolting patterns.
- Make a final check pass at the target torque value moving consecutively from bolt to bolt.
- Re-torque 12 to 24 hours after initial installation.. All applicable safety standards including lockout/tagout procedures should be observed.
- Never use liquid or metallic based anti-stick or lubricating compounds on the gaskets. Premature failure could occur as a result.